Important..please read before continuing

The more serious posts are at the beginning of the blog. I ran out of good topics and started doodling :P
Unfortunately, they aren't written as well as the later posts. . .
Your choice

PS: It surprises me, how I have to validate every single thing I do. I mean, there was absolutely no reason for me to write this note, and even less, to write this postscript, or the postpostscript, that i will write after this one. Maybe, I do not like being misinterpreted. or maybe if there's any criticism that needs to be dished out, i'd rather do it myself.Or maybe i'm just a megalomaniac who wants to be all encompassing and always in a position to say: 'I told you so', even if the 'so' is some inherent flaw in me :P

PPS: Or maybe i just have too much free time, writing long posts to an imaginary audience. . . .

PPPS: Wait, that would be megalomania. . .

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Coffee and comforters

She looked out the window, nursing a cup of coffee, her face almost pressed to the glass. Her hair, clothes and overall demeanor, all had the air of someone who's ,'sure as hell not stepping out of her home that day'. She sighed contentedly, and curled her legs up even tighter for warmth. The incessant rain, pounded against the trees, and the cars, and the street. Only a slight overhang, stopped it from knocking on her window. She wished she could wish the over hang away. She wanted to press her face against the glass, with the rain railing on the other side. She wanted to taunt it, tease it, stick her tongue out to it. Then she laughed, and jumped off the window sill. The marble floor was cold, and her toes curled up as her feet touched the ground.For a moment, she stood there, frozen, her legs stuck together, her arms pressed up against her body for warmth, her palms all toasty and warm from the coffee, her eyes closed, her nostrils dilated as he took in the cold frozen smell of nothing , that one usually gets when one is indoors during a particularly long rainy spell.

Laughing again, she put on her slippers, curling up her toes again in their warm softness.Her walk across the living room and down the hall, was lonely , yet strangely comforting. It was the second best thing in the world, on a rainy day like this. Alone at home,piping hot coffee and shrewsbury biscuits for company. A bed that afforded her comfy coziness, and a view of the rain outside that was just magical. A view of the street, people walking briskly , holding up umbrellas and clutching rain coats to their chin, trying to stay out of the wet and the cold. People looking busy, people looking nostalgic. Kids floating paper boats in large pot holes, and jumping around in the even larger ones. Teenaged lovers walking inthe rain, arms around each other,giggling and cooing.Dogs, sitting in alcoves barely sheltered from the rain,curled up, their fur bristling from the cold. They looked out at the rain dolefully , batting their eyelashes at it, whining at it to make it stop. And all the time, the rain poured on.. . Not malevolently. . Rather like the rush hour traffic....Mildly apologetic in one way, but routine and unavoidable in another. going about it's business, the sun having long since hidden itself behind it's grey prison towel.
She dips a biscuit in the coffee and bites of a large chunk, savouring the feeling as it's buttery goodness crumbles on her tongue, and then slides down her throat smoothly . The hint of coffee in the butter is tantalising. It's scalding hot, but she gingerly takes a tiny sip, her pink tongue still speckled with the light brown biscuit crumbs. She feels warm, and safe, her childhood comforter wrapped around her legs..... She hears a sound and looks up. . .

She smiles up at me as I enter the room, feeling the cold myself inspite of my thick coat. Many days, I would long to take it off, but not today. . Today, it feels perfect.I get up on the bed, and snuggle as close to her as possible, both to take warmth and supply it.She offers me her coffee, but I hate coffee, and all I want is to get inside that comforter with her. She puts down the coffee mug on the window sill, and pulls the comforter over our heads. For a moment, both of us are scrabbling about, trying to stay within the warmth, till both our heads pop out of the comforter, and we sigh as one,cuddling close to each other till we are comfortable. Oh....so comfortable..... She looks up at me and says..'I love you...'

I just wag my tail.

PS : Brrrrrr.....

PPS: I wish ! :D

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post with an awesome ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D ...Can't get this stuff out of my head :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did i not comment on this one was sure i had !! its good writing ! influenced by roald dahl but good writing nevertheless!!

    ReplyDelete